1. Appointment: Your physician will advise you when to schedule your follow-up appointment after your surgery. The physician may instruct you to schedule an appointment one or two days after your surgery if you have a drain in place. Please keep this appointment.
2. Activity: Physical activity should be limited for two weeks following your surgery. No lifting over 10 pounds or strenuous physical activity, i.e. sports or workouts. Your physician will advise you when you can return to normal activtiy.
3. Medication: A prescription for pain medication may be given. Please take as directed. If you do not need the prescribed medication and want to take an over-the-counter medication, you may use over-the-counter acetaminophen (Tylenol) as needed, do not exceed 4000 mg per day, total. Use of ibuprofen may be allowed, please ask your physician before use.
4. Diet: It is important to drink plenty of fluids after your surgery. Your diet should consist of soft foods as tolerated. You should eat slowly and sit upright at meal time. Please report any difficulty swallowing to your physician.
5. Temperature: If temperature is over 101 degrees orally, please call the office.
6. Please report to your physician any of the following symptoms:
- a. Bright red blood on your dressing
- b. Difficulty coughing and swallowing
- c. Any sudden increase in tightness of neck dressing
- d. Increased hoarseness (slight hoarseness is expected after your surgery)
- e. Diffculty speaking or breathing
- f. Any numbness or tingling of your fingers, toes or lips
7. Additional Information: Please elevate the head of your bed or sleep on a couple of pillows for the first few days after your surgery. You may use ice as needed for comfort the first 3 days. Apply ice over a paper or cloth towel to the neck for up to 15 minutes every hour while awake. Bags of frozen peas or corn work well.
PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CALL OUR OFFICE IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR PROBLEMS: 410.760.8840.